Denver, CO asked in Criminal Law for Colorado

Q: I’m I in violation of a protection order if I did a welfare check on my wife?

So I have a protection order against my wife. The school called and said my wife has not showed up to pick my kids up and it has been 30 minutes and then I called 911 to do a welfare check on her.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William Beck
William Beck
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Generally speaking, contacting the police is not a crime. However, it would be best to be extremely cautious if you are dealing with someone who has a protection order against you, as any contact could lead to charges being filed against you. The best intentioned action rarely gets a free pass on breaking the law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.