Jersey City, NJ asked in Criminal Law for New Jersey

Q: Is a criminal offense or a disorderly person offense

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg
H. Scott Aalsberg
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: In general, It is a disorderly persons offense, BUT it does appear on many people's CCH (Criminal Case History) so most people consider it a criminal offense, because it shows up as a criminal offense. If that is confusing it is. NJ unlike other states does not have felony and misdemeanor charges which clouds the issue more. This is especially serious if you are an immigrant or someone with a sensitive job that requires you not to have a criminal record. I would suggest that you hire a good criminal lawyer to make sure you get the best result for this charge. Most of us criminal lawyers offer a free in office consultation, I would suggest that you start with this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.