Portland, OR asked in Family Law, Foreclosure, Real Estate Law and Probate for Colorado

Q: If the house I co-inherited with my sister goes into foreclosure, will it affect my credit? (House in my father's name)

I'm struggling to get my sister on the same page about what to do with my dad's house. It's still in his name because he didn't leave a will and my sister and I have yet to go through probate. I have tried to sell her my share of ownership for a reasonable sum or suggested we sell it, to no reply/agreement. I'm at the point of totally washing my hands of this situation and letting her deal with it just to protect my credit. Is there a way that I can exit this situation without her involvement, or does it affect my credit if the house falls in foreclosure, my name not being on either the mortgage or deed? Furthermore, my dad's cousin is a cosigner on the mortgage, aside from a foreclosure affecting them do they have any controlling stake on the house?

1 Lawyer Answer
John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Louisville, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: It should not affect your credit since you are not on the title or the mortgage. You may want to take a more active role by being appointed the personal representative ("executor") so you could sell the property if there is any equity to protect. You should get a lawyer to help you with this

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.