Lake Charles, LA asked in Divorce for Louisiana

Q: If a "Citat for Petit" was served for divor & its uncont how do I move forward to let them know i agree? file a paper?

We agreed on divorce & he filed petition. I recvd the Citation of petition today, it states I have to either comply with demand in petition or make an appear. by filing an answer or pleading. if I am not contesting how do I let them know? do I file some paper or call? or just not respond at all and i will default & it will be done?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: If you were properly served and do nothing, then the other side can go to Court and seek the relief it seeks in the Petition. If the Petition sought decisions/rulings of incidental matters and/or issues other a divorce, then you could be adversely affected. Thus, my recommendation to you is that you at a minimum bring the paperwork served on you to a lawyer for a consultation and make sure you are fully informed of what may happen should you do nothing. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.