Chicago, IL asked in Divorce for Idaho

Q: My sister is getting a divorce, can her soon to be ex, make her pay a fee whenever he has to clean up after her?

My sister is a full-time mom, she homeschools their son, does house cleaning for others, and is expected by her husband to have the house cleaned and food on the table by the time he gets him. Right now through, my sister is trying to divorce him because he is emotionally and psychologically abusive to her and her son, which she hasn't been able to prove yet and he knows this. Anyways, she made her son dinner and hadn't had the chance to clean up after herself, and he got mad and told her that if he has to clean up or do anything for her, she will have to pay him a cleaning fee. He also wants to be reimbursed for buying groceries and pet food, and he wants her to sign a contract saying that she will pay him for cleaning and buying groceries and pet food. Is he legally allowed to ask this of her? They haven't filed for divorce yet, he doesn't want to go to court so they have been going to mediation. Any advice would be great. Thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: The husband is guilty of manipulation and severe, emotional abuse of your sister and (probably) their son. Idaho, like most other states can give your sister a divorce for FAULT reasons, not just "irreconcilable differences" which is "no fault." IN a divorce, if your sister, puts on evidence like you have just related, she will get a divorce based on FAULT. FAULT, during the marriage is defined as "severe emotional and/or physical abuse," "chronic drunkenness," adultery, abandonment etc. and her abusive husband may find himself paying all of her attorney fees, or giving her more equity in the home they have to sell, than the abusive husband etc., as a means of punishing him for all the harm he did to his family, during their miserable marriage.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.