Gulfport, MS asked in Family Law for Louisiana

Q: How do I start a succession?

My brother died and owned a house. It has been vacant for a while now and I don't know if it has been foreclosed or anything. I just don't know where to start

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Claire Edwards
Claire Edwards
  • Lafayette, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Start with an attorney who focuses on "successions." You'll need to know whether your brother died with a will or without a will. You'll also need to talk with your brother's children and find out what's going on with them.

You can check the clerk of court in the parish where the house is located to see if anything has been filed against the property- check the actual civil suits for the executory action (foreclosure) and check the mortgage/conveyance records to see if any liens have been filed against the property.

Ultimately, you'll end with an attorney who focuses on successions and who can complete the judgement of possession, putting your brother's house in the right hands.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.