Liberty, TN asked in Probate for Tennessee

Q: Father died and let my self and my sister as coexecutors he had a will. my sister took it upon herself to rent out his

house to her grandson and spent a lot of money remodeling it for him. She is keeping the rent money for herself. She did not have permission from me to do any of this. is it legal for her to keep the rents for herself and not go into the estate account?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Ask her for half the money. If she refuses, then file an action for a Sale For Partition. That will get her attention and a possible agreement. She can put others in possession. You could sue in Chancery for contribution, but it would probably not be worth it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.