Ooltewah, TN asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Tennessee

Q: My ex was arrested for dv after beating me. I was trying to leave. Finally got out. How am I protected now?

I have been getting beat and verbally abused for years by him. I was arrested 3 times because he called in as the abused and I was protecting myself from me extensive injury. My charges were dropped. I lived with him the whole time even though I was legally not allowed in his home. Until last month when all charges were dropped. He never showed up in court for any dates. This attack was much worse and I finally called the police and reported him. How do I know that I am safe? The police were dismissive of my statement and even said they didn't believe me cause they couldn't see bruises... and I was accused of being the aggressor 3 times before. When they went to talk to him, they saw the wrecked house and he admitted to some hitting. He was arrested then bailed out after 12 hrs. I need to know how I can go make my case heard without discrimination bc of my prior charges that were all dropped by DA. I was made to feel like it was my fault by the police because I lived with him

1 Lawyer Answer
Cayley Turrin
Cayley Turrin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Franklin, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: I suggest hiring an attorney or getting one appointed to ensure that that does not happen.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.