Chicago, IL asked in Wrongful Death for Illinois

Q: My son sadly took his own life at the age of 17. He was seeing a therapist for some time. My exwife left multiple

Loaded guns unlocked in her bedroom. I believe she was completely negligent in doing this. States attorney is attempting to file reckless endangerment charges and one other charge. We had a verbal agreement since my son was 11 to have both guns and ammo locked up separately and our son not to have access to either. Obviously proving a verbal agreement isn’t going to happen she will just deny it. The fact he was in therapy I believe makes her negligent in his death. Is there anything I can do? Is there anything I should do? I’m still in shock over this situation and need some unbiased advice. Thanks

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black

A: My deepest sympathies on your loss. There may be a potential civil suit you could bring against your ex wife depending on where the act occurred and who were the household residents where the event happened. Discuss with counsel in a free private phone call. Again my deepest condolences.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.