Milwaukee, WI asked in Family Law and Child Support for Wisconsin

Q: Hello, can my children father claim our children for taxes after he been absent for over 3 year in his kids life?

He is taking me to court to reduce his child support amount and claim the kids on his taxe return. His child support is not consistent. Sometimes no payments for two months. I been doing everything for our children since he been absent for over 3 years. He blocked my number I couldn't get in contact with him. What should I do about this situation?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jane E. Probst
Jane E. Probst
  • Brookfield, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: You can file your own Motion to modify the Order in which he is not entitled to any of the children as tax exemptions unless he is current in his child support obligation each year by the last day of the year. Also, if he does not have a valid reason to have his child support to be reduced, you could also request that his previous income be imputed to him for purposes of calculation of child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.