Jesup, GA asked in Civil Litigation, Family Law and Child Custody for Georgia

Q: How do I respond to a filed motion from my lawyer (to withdraw) which has incorrect information?

The motion to withdraw and the certificate of notice, already e-filed with the court, incorrectly refers to me as the plaintiff a couple of times. Says that she has sent the notice to the defendant's lawyer (WHICH IS HERSELF) Because I AM the defendant. List my ex husband as the plaintiff, which he is, but has my phone number and email address beside it. Will this affect her motion to withdraw? Do I reply with a corrected one? This is an ONGOING issue with this lawyer including be cussed and yelled at etc.

1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You can and should reply with correct information. If the motion to withdraw is granted, the information on the notice to withdraw will be used to send you future notifications in the case, so you need to make sure that that is correct. Your attorney should not yell and curse at you. That is definitely a sign that you need a new attorney.

Michael D. Birchmore agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.