Days Creek, OR asked in Divorce and Probate for Oregon

Q: Mother in-law died my wife's brother and sister wanted to sell the house me the husband paid the brother for his portion

Me and the wife stayed in the home made the payments from a joint account and I remodeled the house and also help make the payments and paid the sister off from her portion of the house am I initialed to any portion of the sale of the home

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Theressa Hollis
Theressa Hollis
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: You will need to review the specific facts of your situation with an attorney. The answer to your question will depend on what written agreements you have, how the home is titled, whether or not your mother-in-law left a Will or Trust, how much you can prove you have done to increase the current value of the home. I can't tell who the joint account owners were. If one of them was your mother-in-law that may also be a factor. Good luck to you!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.