LaFollette, TN asked in Civil Litigation for Tennessee

Q: What can I do about a car lot that doesn’t want to give me my down payment back, although they were unable to finance me

I got the car on November 5 and put $1000 down and on November 7. They told me I needed to bring the car back because they were unable to verify that I had stable income although they let me take the car from the lot on November 5, the man at the dealership said that he would be able to give me my down payment back since it isn’t my fault so I tried to file a dispute with my bank because I did not want to deal with them and they said they can only give me $750 back because they had to clean the car and put gas in it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You can file suit for Conversion in General Sessions Court, but I doubt it is worth the trouble. Even with a Judgment, then you have to collect. Their position obviously has some merit, since it is your credit that was not sufficient.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.