Minneapolis, MN asked in Social Security for Minnesota

Q: How can I find a lawyer who has expertise with application for disability benefits from the MN Dept Human Services?

My adult daughter (age 43) sustained a TBI and is not eligible for SSI because she had insufficient employment history when the TBI occurred. Although she lives independently, her long-term disability confounds her navigation of the complex procedures/processes.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC

A: I believe you mean your daughter does not qualify for SSDI (which is disability payments for having worked enough and paying into the Social Security system). Typically this means the only benefit available from Social Security would be SSI (Supplemental Security Income). The SSI program is also managed by Social Security, not individual states. MN Dept Human Services likely manages her Medicaid, if she qualifies, to help pay medical bills.

If she needs help with getting disability benefits from Social Security, then you can look here on Justia for an attorney to help her. Attorneys are not allowed to charge anything up front and are only paid if she wins her claim for benefits.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.