Grand Rapids, MI asked in Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and Federal Crimes for Tennessee

Q: I was pulled over for expired tabs (only expired by 14 days). The officer physically entered my vehicle, pulled me out..

..handcuffed me, took me to jail. I filed a counter-claim which was never replied to/answered; I gave them 30 reply/so I gave them ANOTHER 30 days/STILL NO REPLY. They ACQUIESCED so I recorded the judgement. Over 1 year passed, NOW they say I am guilty of: 39-16-510. Retaliation for past action. Does an American have NO RECOURSE against police abuse??

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: There is no counterclaim to a criminal charge. If the criminal charge was dismissed, you might have had a civil rights action for an illegal arrest. But from the facts given, it does not look like that was the case. You will need to hire an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.