Riverdale, GA asked in Domestic Violence for Georgia

Q: If I’m the victim and I recant my story , can I go to jail ? I have no criminal history whatsoever.

I lied and said my baby father held me at gunpoint and shot at me , which wasn’t true . Now I’m ready to tell the judge the truth because he’s facing serious time because I was mad at him .

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joshua Schiffer
Joshua Schiffer
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Roswell, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Absolutely you can be prosecuted under a few different pathways and this is a very precarious position for you. The state is very familiar with putative victims trying to assist and support their loved ones when they may have said something that is inculpatory, and they have a TON of tools to "get what they want."

Before you make ANY statement you need to retain a lawyer, as you are at high risk for negative treatment from the state.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.