Atlanta, GA asked in Family Law for Georgia

Q: Can you legally move out at 17 in Georgia and not be made to go back.

My daughter was adopted 3 years ago she is now 17 she and the adopted mom don't get along because she refuses to allow my daughter any contact with me and she can be rude about it to my daughter. My daughter is trying to find out if she can legally leave from there and they can't make her stay and she won't get in trouble with the law if they reported her as a runaway.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: She isn't your daughter, legally. If you assist her in leaving the home, you can be charged with a felony.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.