Minneapolis, MN asked in Child Support for Michigan

Q: can the state of MI withhold back child support out of my ssi and now my new job?

I have been paying back child support out of my SSI for five years of $480 a month I tried to live on $660 a month but cant so I got a job to supplement my income now MI is going take the same amount out of my check from the new job. Both children are grown and dont live at home with their mother. Can the state of MI do that.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Yes they can. The back child support does not go away just because a child becomes an adult. The state will continue collecting until it's all paid back, waived, or you pass away with no assets to collect (they do even take from a deceased person's estate).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.