Davenport, FL asked in Employment Law and Workers' Compensation for Florida

Q: Need Job transfer due to medical reason, company is wanting to pay me less then what I was getting paid before w/ 10 yrs

My Dr. stated that I need to change my job role in my company due to medical issues that could worsen if I stay in the same role. The company I work for has been working to change me roles for two years (couldn't collect unemployment or disability for some reason). They called today saying that they found a new role for me but significantly less pay that what I was making before all of this happened (they want to pay me minimum wage now when I have been with the company for eight years making more) so my question is.. is this okay? I am going to speak to the team working on my case in HR, are they allowed to do this?

1 Lawyer Answer

A: You should contact a Florida employment attorney to discuss this situation further, as this will be a highly fact-intensive situation. While the Americans with Disabilities Act permits you to request accommodations - including a position reassignment - your employer need not maintain your same pay rate if the pay rate for the new position you are being offered is lower than your original role (and you are not able to continue performing your original role).

Brian Phillip Vassallo agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.