Portland, OR asked in Contracts and Small Claims for Oregon

Q: I have received a letter from a moving company asking for $ from not paying a full amount to them because of damages etc

This year I had movers and they told me the move would take 2 hours. They ended up taking roughly 8 hours after locking themselves out of my apartment complex (while having the key I provided them) several times for hours at a time. Breaking and damaging my items as well as putting dents and holes in my walls. I paid them what I owed them from the beginning plus a little more. I didn’t sign the paper at the end when they left because I wasn’t satisfied and I submitted a claim afterwards that they never answered.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: So is there a question here? Sounds like the normal, same bottom line - either you work things out with them or you refuse. In that case they have to decide whether they want to drop the matter; send you to a collection agency (who then has the same options after harassing you and dinging your credit rating); or suing you in court (be it small claims or regular circuit court). If you hold firm, then their only option comes down to suing you in court or dropping it. If they sue you in court, then you get your chance to defend by showing the Judge or Jury all the damages and charges for excess time, etc.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.