Belleville, MI asked in DUI / DWI for Michigan

Q: I drove while intoxicated and hita mailbox. Its my first offense, have a clean record. Is it possible to get it reduced

No one was hurt. Just a mailbox and my record is clean. No felonies or misdemeanors. I have a state job and cannot have this on my record.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Hopefully you've engaged with a good, local attorney. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you're probably going to have a tough go in getting a prosecutor to do anything with drunk driving causing property damage. An example of a reduction would be operating while impaired, which is still a misdemeanor.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.