Richmond, VA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Virginia

Q: If a tenant negligently damages my rental house, can I charge them full replacement cost?

Allowed children to spill paint over 1/2 room of carpet. Wouldn’t come out & whole room replaced because couldn’t match. One of many negligent damages. Broke lining frig, 2 bins & chunk out of gasket/ door seal. 30-60 nail hole each child’s room, doors & gate hardware broken, cabinet doors broken & areas where finish completely removed & on & on.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steven Krieger
Steven Krieger
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Arlington, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: It really depends on whether the items can be repairs and the condition of the items before the tenancy. If they can't be repaired and only replaced, then replacement is fine. If they were in excellent condition before and repair is not possible, then replacement could be justified. It's a sliding scale. If you decide to hire a lawyer, I'm sure anyone who responds would be happy to help. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.