Stockbridge, GA asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Divorce for Georgia

Q: I have a question about being served divorce papers while being in a rehabilitation center and having no legal counsel

Or representation and having issues with being told that I were to pay child support and kids are in the custody of State and that I have no visitation rights how is these things possible when I wrote a letter notarized letter stating that I needed time to prepare for this civil matter while I was in rehabilitation due to the fact I was there and while there a decision was still made I need to understand the discrepancies in this case in this matter could you help me figure out what's going on

1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: The court is not required to wait until you are ready. You need to hire an attorney immediately to represent your interests. A letter isn't able to be used to stop or slow down the case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.