Flint, MI asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Michigan

Q: Lying in court

My girlfriend may be about to start a custody battle with her kids’ father. He is most likely going to try to get 50/50 custody. He is $5000 behind on child support. He has no drivers license, yet still drives with the children. He will try to lie and say things are different than they are. He also has access to people who will provide false documentation for him. My question is, is there anything to be done to counter act his falsehoods?

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Sure is! Respond, appropriately, to his allegations. If he's filing, you will receive his allegations in writing; you may file a written response to them. In court, you will also have an opportunity to respond to any allegations made.

The judge's job is to assess credibility. Some wise old judges say half of everything said in court is a lie. That makes sense if you think about it, because if both people are on the same page about what the truth is, there would be no need for courts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.