Indianapolis, IN asked in Traffic Tickets for Indiana

Q: I got a warrent that expired for not appearing for a misdemeanor driving while suspended what should I do about it ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joel D. Hand
Joel D. Hand
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Indianapolis, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Just because the warrant expired does not mean that the case went away. The case is likely still pending and the prosecutor could ask for the warrant to be reissued at any time. You are well advised to take this opportunity to try to resolve your case. If you have not been fingerprinted and photographed as a part of this case, there is a good chance that you will be ordered to be processed by the county jail before the case is resolved.

You should also the website to see the status of your case at any time.

If your license is still suspended, look up your driving record on the BMV website to see why your license is suspended and then try to resolve that issue. If you are able to get your driving privileges reinstated, the prosecutor may be willing to dismiss or reduce the driving while suspended misdemeanor charge to an infraction.

It is always a good idea to contact and hire an attorney experienced in traffic law and license suspensions to help you get back to being valid and to represent you in court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.