Augusta, GA asked in Child Support and Family Law for Georgia

Q: My ex wife took me to court for content of child support . I got behind when I got sick with a heart problem

When I got sick I wasn't able to work . I went to child support recovery an showed them my paper work where I had to apply for disability I filed for a modification of child support was denied so still was suppose to pay $ 645 a month with no income at all . I was in am out of the hospital for a whole year am had to wear a life vest . my son at the time had just turned 18 he called an ask me to go to lunch we met resturant for him to inform me that when I paid my child support off he was changing his last name he didn't want my last name . his mother an grandparents always talked bad about me to him ex-wife took me to court 6 times to get more child support an to try an get me to sign my rights away. When my son was little . anyway we went to court a few weeks ago my son didn't even speak to me I showed the judge the letter from social security where they take $25 a month out of my check for my arrears the judge said I had to come up with a lump sum to give the mother but I can't work

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: In a contempt case, you have to prove that you have exhausted all resources in order to avoid contempt. Your being able to work is not the only solution. Sometimes, people have to borrow money, take a loan from a bank, or sell assets in order to come up with the money.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.