Atlanta, GA asked in Family Law, Child Support and Child Custody for Georgia

Q: What can be done about the custodial parent that won't work, just wait around for child support payments?? Able-bodied.

Is there anything that can be done about the custodial parent that will not get a job? Her not working has my monthly payment sky high. She chooses to not work and get state assistance, living assistance, and child support...

1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: No one can force her to work. You can file a modification and try to prove she is capable of earning more. Also, you have to fact in thr cost of child care if she were to work. You would have to contribute to that also.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.