Portage, MI asked in Uncategorized for Michigan

Q: I issued a check to our condo management company, they were robbed and safe was stolen. The management asked me to stop

payment on it, I did. Now they want me to reissue the check but do know about me getting the charge for stop payment fee reimbursement. I feel they had this check in their safe and I should not issue another check until that fee is paid by them. Please help?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Not sure what your question is. I can see your point in that you paid them what they were owed, and incurred an additional fee to do so that you had nothing to do with. I can also see their point that what happened doesn't change the fact that you still owe them that set amount. I think - would hope - this is resolvable through open communication.

If it helps any, if someone is being held criminally liable for the robbery, the condo management could ask the court for restitution from that person that could include the amount of your bank fees if they let you pay them the amount minus those fees.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.