Miami, FL asked in Workers' Compensation for Florida

Q: If I injured something directly due to a workers comp injury is that new injury also covered under workers comp?

I broke my left ankle at the office back in June and was entitled to workers comp who has been paying for everything, of course. Since I injured my left ankle I had to rely solely on my right leg to support everything for the first 5 months. This led to me injuring my right knee a month ago. It’s painful and sounds like plastic crackling whenever I bend it with weight; difficult to walk up stairs and everything of that nature. Do I also have to go through workers comp for this injury since it’s due to my original injury or am I safe to proceed with my regular doctor?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Domenic J. Celeste
Domenic J. Celeste
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • West Palm Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Very good question! This would, most likely, fall under the initial date of accident with the insurance company, even though it's, technically, a new accident. If this new injury happened while working, it could either be a new injury or fall under the original accident. Either way, you should be covered, but I anticipate that work comp may give you some trouble, especially if your asserting that your new injury was caused by overuse/overcompensation for the original injury. As such, I highly recommend that you contact an attorney licensed to practice law in Florida and who regularly handles workers' compensation cases to help you with this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.