Spring Valley, CA asked in Probate for Missouri

Q: My father just died in Missouri, without a will. i live in Ca and was wondering what i would have to do to get his car?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lloyd  Nolan
Lloyd Nolan
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: If there is only a car, or minimal property, you should be able to file a Small Estate Affidavit for estates with total assets under $40,000.00. If you have paid your father's funeral bill and the bill is roughly equal to the value of the car, you may be able to file a Creditor's Application for Refusal of Letters, since you would be creditor of the estate if you paid the funeral bill. Many Missouri courts require that you have an attorney to file a Small Estate Affidavit. You would likely not need an attorney for the Creditor's Refusal procedure. There are forms on-line that you can utilize in many instances. Both the Small Estate Procedure and Creditor's Refusal are much faster, and less cumbersome, than opening a full estate. If more assets are involved and you need to open a full estate, you have only one year from date of death to do so. My advice, as always, is to contact an experienced Missouri Probate Attorney as soon as possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.