Greeley, CO asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Colorado

Q: Hello, I am currently trying to get my daughter back who is with her paternal grandmother in Florida.

She has been with her for a few years in Florida but she recently came to stay with me over the summer until September. Her grandmother has temporary custody of her (in FL) but there is still a shared customer order in Colorado between her father and I. Her father is not in the picture but she wants to come back to live with me and I am unsure of what my legal rights are. She is almost 16 (in April). She has her Colorado drivers permit and she wants to be back here with her siblings and I. Am I able to just go get her since there is still a standing order in Colorado? Or what do I need to do in order to get her back here. Her grandmother and I are not on good terms because of this so she is not willing to assist.

I have a nice home and I run my own business here as well as attend college. There is no reason she needs to be with her grandmother anymore, it was only a temporary agreement due to safety issues with her father.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Based on what you are saying, there appear to be conflicting orders. It would be necessary to review the orders before anyone could provide information on how the potential conflict might be resolved.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.