Indianapolis, IN asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Georgia

Q: Can I track my toddler when he’s with his dad that’s NOT on his birth certificate?

My child’s father is not on his birth certificate, and he’s really not all that involved… He does not pay child support and does not visit. The only time he sees him is if I drive eight hours to my hometown to let him. I only moved a month ago and visited once, I put a tracker in my toddler‘s diaper bag and I guess he searched and found it. He was absolutely livid and said that legally he is not obligated to tell me where he is with my son, is this true? If he’s not on his birth certificate wouldn’t that be the same as me tracking him with a babysitter… He told me that I broke the law and went as far as saying because of that he’s scared of what else Im capable of? He’s very narcissistic so I expected him to raise hell but he even mentioned pressing charges… I need advice. I don’t trust him at all and didn’t feel he was honest about where he would be taking him.

1 Lawyer Answer
Leo Hughes
Leo Hughes
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Marietta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: The question is whether the bio father legitimated the child or not. It’s a court proceeding. If the child is not legitimated, the father has no legal rights over the child - no right of visitation or custody.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.