Indianapolis, IN asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Georgia

Q: How long after my child is born does the father have to file for rights?

long story short my son is about 15 months old and his father has never paid child support or tried to help me out. He doesn’t visit him and the only way he sees him is if I drive him 8 hours to my home town (yes I have told him he can come visit, his reason is not being able to put miles on his expensive Camaro).. he says that he’s involved by posting pictures of my son but he doesn’t even check up on him, he only ever texts me to find out stuff about ME and not to hear about my son. I really just want him out of our lives but technically can’t he just file for custody whenever he decides? I don’t want my son to turn 5 and not even know this man and him trying to come get custody of him… is there any way I can prevent this? I’ve read about filing for abandonment but would he need to have rights in the first place for that? He is not on his birth certificate right now so I am already very generous by still letting him see him with no contributions… he’s in georgia, I’m in Kentucky

1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You need to ask a Kentucky lawyer. Laws are different state by state.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.