Chicago, IL asked in Construction Law for Illinois

Q: Can I sue my contractor for poor work after mutually terminating relationship? He refused to finish or fix shoddy work.

Contractor performed stunningly bad work in my 1200 sq ft condo gut job. He did not complete a second bathroom but charged for it. He used the wrong glue, no nails or screws for base moldings and door casings which are now separating from walls.He knowingly installed damaged cabinets, charged me to install and uninstall. He charged for extreme paint prep/mesh but walls still look terrible. He left an electric panel with live conductors hanging out dangerously exposed/uncovered in a front hallway. Sockets with no covers everywhere. One bathroom is tiled so badly, the tiles are cracked and uneven.He was able to install a vinyl floor but cut it badly around doorways so there are big gaps that to not meet the moldings. These boards need to be replaced. He refused to fix anything and contract date of July 12 was not met. After almost 2 months of no work, In Oct I fired him,he demanded it be mutual. I sent a refund demand letter, he refused. I hired a new contractor.The whole job is a redo.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Milwaukee, WI
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: This seems to have nothing to do with immigration. You ought to Re-categorize it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.