Atlanta, GA asked in Estate Planning for Georgia

Q: How Do I know if my younger sister is in charge of our dead parents estate with no will. Did I sign her legal rights?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Seth Meyerson
Seth Meyerson
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Senoia, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If there is no will and your sister wanted to be placed in charge of your deceased parent's estate, she would petition the probate court (2 petitions) in the county where your parents lived when they died and ask to be placed in charge of their estates (Administrator).

If your sister had done this you should have been served with copies of the petition(s). You can also call the probate court and ask if an estate has been opened for either of your parents. Estate filings are public records.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.