Detroit, MI asked in Family Law and Child Support for Georgia

Q: My ex admitted to having a job and an business can I have my child support reduced. Griffin GA

I also have a child with autism and a pregnant wife I also have two other children with my wife can that help reduce my child support as I have to pay for everything in home including my visitation costs

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: It is possible that there might be a decrease. If your income has increased since the last order and / or your ex's income decreased, then the overall amount may not actually decrease. You need to consult with an attorney who can give advice based on your situation.

Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If your child's mother did not have the job and business during the child support case when the current order was established and this occurred after the order was signed, then you may have a material change in circumstances that might qualify you for a modification of child support. Also, if it has been more than 2 years since the last order was signed, you can file for a modification whether the parties income has changed or not. However, if there has been an increase in your income as well, I would think about whether or not you want to modify as there could be an increase or decrease in support. I would consult an attorney to speak about your finances specifically to make an informed decision.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.