The Bronx, NY asked in Child Support and Family Law for New York

Q: can a child over the age of 18 receive direct child support payments in new york?

The mother believes the child support money is hers and refuses to give the money to the child to have. The child is 18 years old and is attending college. The child has no job and goes to college outside of the state the child support is issued in. The mother either wants the money or wants to end the child support case. Can the child receive those payments directly now that they are legally in charge of themselves?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Ivan Bliven
David Ivan Bliven
  • White Plains, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: The answer is yes - so long as the child is no longer residing with the mother. A Child may self-petition for child support pursuant to Family Court Act 422. For a full assessment, schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Support Attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.