Fayetteville, GA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Georgia


How do I start the process of getting to see my son and start the legal proceedings to obtain custody help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: It is unclear from your question whether you are the mother or father of the child. If you are the mother, if your child was taken from your custody, you should have a hearing, in order for the state to provide you with the reasons why they feel the child should have been removed from your home. If you are the mother, the child was taken, and it has been 72 hours without notice of a hearing, I would hire an attorney to look into your case. If you are the father, you need to file an action to legitimize in order to obtain any form of custody or visitation. I would seek an attorney to assist me if I were you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.