Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Michigan

Q: i got a felony in michigan for R&O. But i don’t have a criminal background. Will i go to prison?

I got the police called on me for refusing to leave a company’s property. The police showed up and were just going to write me a ticket for underage drinking. I was talking disrespectfully to the officer as he was writing my ticket. The officer then took action and tried to cuff me. I pulled my arm away and the officer pulled it back causing us both to fall on the ground. More officers got involved and eventually got me in the cop car. I now have two charges, one for disturbing the peace and one for R&O. R&O in michigan is a felony. Can this felony be dropped ? Or will i go to prison for this ? Or will i only be charged a court fee?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Any charge can be dropped, but charges initiated by police contact are the least likely to be dropped. The good news is without a criminal history, you're unlikely to face much if any jail time, let alone prison. The bad news is that anytime a cop runs your name, it's going to come back that you're a fighter, so your next traffic stop may be "...step out of the car please".

Please consider this a learned lesson: on the streets is not the time to argue your case with the cops. They were called by someone wanting you off the property; they were there to see that done, not determine who is right. Police have a lot of discretion; this all could have been as simple as them escorting you off the property, trespassed you, and may not have even written you a ticket. Even if they did issue you a ticket, you could fight it in court as it would have been between you and the company.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.