Grand Junction, CO asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Colorado

Q: How is a single parent father able to terminate mother parent-child relationship? I have Sole Physical & Legal custody.

My son has a half sister, her father was able to do a termination of mother’s parent-child relationship with a step adoption. I have more than enough substantial evidence to prove mother is an unfit parent. This custody battle has gone on 6-1/2 yrs as long as our son has be alive. Mother currently has her parenting rights suspended going on almost 2 years in duration. Prior to that mother was in supervised visits and therapeutic supervised visits when/if she would show up. I have gained Physical and Legal Custody of child through several Court Rulings finding mother was putting child in Imminent Emotional Danger.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: One parent can't terminate another parent's rights. The step-parent adoption process is an exception. If there is a step-parent willing to adopt and the court decides that is in the parents best interests, then a step-parent can adopt. Parental rights are terminated through the dependency and neglect process initiated by a Department of Human Services finding of abuse or neglect.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.