Terre Haute, IN asked in Family Law and Appeals / Appellate Law for Indiana

Q: If the tpr has filed and they took my parental rights and I've filed the appeals in supreme court.howdoufile us supreme

And they never ask family or a friend if they could take adoption or gaurdingship how do file for this

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Frisco, TX

A: U.S. Supreme Court practice is among the most unique and highly specialized areas of law. Because the U.S. Supreme Court has discretionary jurisdiction, it chooses what cases it gets to hear and decide. In any given year, the court hears 50-60 of the 7,000-8,000 cases filed. So the vast majority of prospective cases are never heard or decided on the merits by the court. It is very important to frame your appeal as systemic wrong which recurs frequently that substantially affects the justice system and clearly articulate that your particular case isn't unique or different.

First and foremost, hire one of the few law firms that specialize in practice before the U.S. Supreme Court. Goldstein & Russell, P.C. in Bethesda, Maryland is one such firm, although there are others. Choosing one of these firms and generously funding the appeal in a manner deserving of a case to be heard by the highest court in the nation will greatly increase the likelihood of your case even being heard. Enlisting the support of one or more major advocacy groups that frequently participates in U.S. Supreme Court cases can go a long way toward increasing the likelihood of convincing the court to hear your case. The good news is that, if the U.S. Supreme Court decides to hear your case, your odds of winning go up considerably. That's because it requires the affirmative vote of at least four justices for the court to agree to hear your case.

You can theoretically represent yourself pro se before the U.S. Supreme Court. Mind you, the last time a pro se litigant argued a case to the supreme court and won was 1978. It is very, very rare that a pro se litigant knows enough about the law and about practice before the U.S. Supreme Court to effectively represent himself. If you really want to do so, read the following Pro Se Handbook on Review in the US Supreme Court: http://prose.flabarappellate.org/chapter-21-based-on-seeking-review-in-the-u-s-supreme-court-from-the-office-of-the-clerk-supreme-court-of-the-united-states-washington-d-c-20543/

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.