Warner Robins, GA asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Support and Military Law for Georgia

Q: What documents do I need to file for garnishment for child support through the N/C VA disability compensation in GA?

Our divorce decree states that I can garnish him if he’s one month behind. But now he’s gotten almost 18k behind through child support enforcement within the last 6 years of divorcing. Before I file these documents with the courts, should I close my child support enforcement case or should I wait for the court to grant me garnishment documents first?

1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I would advise you to hire a private attorney who can file an action for contempt for the total amount of the arrears. In that case your attorney can see the arrears as well as attorney's fees, so that the Court may award you the cost of your attorney in your judgment. Once the case is finalized, if you were able to obtain a judgment, that attorney can then assist you with post judgment collections, where there are ways to obtain a lump sum of money outside of a garnishment, that may take several years to complete. I would advise you to seek a consultation today, which some attorneys offer for free, to discuss your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.