Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Missouri

Q: A friend is in state custody (foster home) she’ll be 18 in March. They are wanting to move her again and she’s tired of

Moving and is thinking about running away. What can happen if she does run away

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristen Thurmond
Kristen Thurmond
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: First, your friend should have an attorney appointed to them that they can talk to about this. Second, this is really going to depend on the county involved. She needs to be participating at court and taking advantage of all the programs and services available to older kids/young adults in state custody. These can be everything from driving lessons, cooking classes, manages finances, getting jobs, and, mostly importantly, housing. However, not every county is capable of providing these services and/or your friend has to show she's capable of making some informed decisions and dedicated to completing her high school degree or GED equivalent.

In short, be a supportive friend and let them vent to you. Encourage her to talk with the caseworker and attorney. More than likely, there is more going on than you're aware or she's willing to share if she has to move.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.