Littleton, CO asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Iowa

Q: Daughter's ex's name is on property & loan, but daughter has been paying 100% on it for over 5 years.

Hello, My daughter has a house that she bought with an ex-boyfriend (never married). When they split up, they signed a contract saying she had 100% posession to the house for 5 years (until Mar 2023 - when the grant for 1st time home buyer ends). After that, she has 1st chance on refinancing/buying the house and his name will come off. Now, she does not have the credit for refinancing, but has a buyer who wants to buy and rent to her and her family. My question is this - how can she go about this - the buyer has cash, so no financing issues there. If the buyer was to give her the money, she pay off the loan and get a quick claim deed to take her ex off the property, how does she then go about getting the buyer's name rather than hers?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Erik Luthens
Erik Luthens
  • West Des Moines, IA
  • Licensed in Iowa

A: Your daughter needs to retain a real estate attorney as soon as possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.