Dallas, OR asked in Small Claims for Oregon

Q: I signed a title away on a car and now it got towed and they want me to pay $1400 that I cant afford. What do I do?

My first car ended up breaking down a long time ago(maybe 2015ish?) and I ended up signing it over to a scrap yard as it no longer ran. In 2018 I got a call from someone claiming to be from a collection agency stating that it had been towed in a city I never go to (years after I had gotten rid of it), and that I had to pay them a couple hundred bucks. I thought nothing of the call thinking it was just a scam, since I get a lot of scam calls everyday, and now a civil agent dropped off paperwork saying that I am being sued for $1400 for that towing incident. I cant afford that, and I feel like this wasn't my fault. I want to dispute the charge and go to a hearing but I don't know what to do or what is the best way to resolve this.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: If you want to do anything but have a Judgement entered against you, you must respond to the Summons and Complaint. It sounds likely that you failed to notify DMV when you turned the vehicle over to the scrap yard (as you were required to do) and they then did not scrap it. Tell DMV now, gather whatever proof you can that you turned the car over to the scrap yard (do they have any records?) and tell it to the Judge.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.