Lawrenceville, GA asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Georgia

Q: My 16-year-old daughter wants to be adopted by her stepdad (my husband)

My 16-year-old daughter wants to be adopted by her stepdad (my husband). Her birth father has not paid child support since early 2020, has not seen her since mid-2020 (June or July) and has not contacted her since end of 2020 (December). I have attempted to contact him with no luck in getting responses since Feb of 2021. Even with that I have a feeling it would be contested, and I am trying to find out what I can do to try and make my daughter's want to happen. I just want to know if I should contact him to see if he would contest it? Its been a pain to find a lawyer who will help as most I have called will only assist with it if its not contested.

1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You can contact the father to see if he will sign paperwork to consent to the adoption. You can also file to terminate his parental rights so the child can be adopted. I would seek an attorney who can assist you, as there are some who dedicate a part of their practice to the field of adoption.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.