Atlanta, GA asked in Family Law for Tennessee

Q: How to change the last name of my 5yr old. She has my ex husbands last name but he is not the biological father

Needing to change the last name of my 5 ur old daughter. She has my ex husbands last name but he is not the biological father. No father is listed on her birth certificate. How do I go about getting this done?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: In Tennessee you would file a petition with the chancery court in the appropriate county and serve notice on any interested party. Typically, the chancery court clerks have forms you can fill out; but not always. Contact the clerk in your county to see if they have forms. Or consult counsel to assist.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.