San Diego, CA asked in Family Law for Georgia

Q: My ex wife who lives in Georgia opened up a civil action case against me. Myself and 3 children live in California.

We have a set hearing February 13th but have an open litigation case in California about child custody and UCCJEA. The children have been living with me since MAY 2021. I have multiple court orders from 3 different states that can prove this. What documents do I use to properly file in the Superior Court of Fayette County? I have researched but have had no luck. She has not financially supported the children, but is now able to afford a lawyer. I am not. The most recent order from Superior Court of Fayette County denies her Emergency motion of return of children and Writ of habeaus corpus. The scheduled hearing in February is asking for evidence of her allegations, which I have proof of her dishonesty.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You need to get an attorney to help you defend the case in Georgia.

1 user found this answer helpful

Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: The best advice I can give you is to use whatever means you have to hire an attorney. Multiple cases could have been resolved by a proper motion to dismiss. At this point you need help and you need it fast.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.