Boca Raton, FL asked in Real Estate Law for Florida

Q: My mother had a a house she purchased in the 1940’s. She died in 1969 of cancer and now my cousin has it.

The house is still there my mother owned because my cousin has it but my mother was on morphine and took sick to give it to my aunt and cousin but now my cousin who has my mother’s house will not even let me live in the house my mother owned even if it stays in her name. What can I do to gain admission to the house of my mother where my cousin lives as I am homeless?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: The time to challenge the deed has long passed but to be sure you would have to consult a real estate attorney and have evidence your mother was incapacitated and not aware of the consequences of what she was doing, which is unlikely given this happened more than 50 years ago.

You do not have any rights to live in the house unless a judge rules to vacate the deed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.