Knoxville, TN asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Probate for Tennessee

Q: What do I do about my husband's death without a will in TN?

What is probate and is it required in TN?

1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: If everything your husband owned was owned jointly with you, then most likely it was owned as tenants by the entirety and you are now the sole owner by operation of law. Most of the time all you have to do to remove your husband's name from those titles is provide a death certificate to the bank (for bank accounts) or county clerk (for cars). For real estate you will want to record an affidavit of death with a death certificate and a Tenncare release with the Register of Deeds. If you do not know how to do this, a probate attorney can help you for a relatively small fee.

If your husband died owning anything in his name alone, or with you but NOT as tenants by the entirety, then you will want to hire a probate attorney to help you probate those assets.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.